How to connect to HMRC for Making Tax Digital
If you’re a VAT-registered business in the UK with a taxable turnover above the £85,000 threshold as of April 1st, 2019, you will need to take part in Making Tax Digital - using HMRC-approved software to submit VAT returns online.
If you haven’t already done so, you can check whether your business needs to sign up for MTD and do so on the HMRC website.
Once you’ve received your confirmation email that your business will need to use online accounting software to submit VAT returns, you will be able to connect your Debitoor account to your HMRC account in just a few clicks and will then be able to submit VAT returns directly.
Set up your HMRC connection in Debitoor by following the steps below (Note: this only sets up your connection, it does not submit a VAT return to HMRC):
- Click on your ‘Reports’ tab and select any period and click the ‘Preview your VAT return’ button.
- Click the blue ‘Connect to HMRC’ button at the top of the page.
- In the HMRC installation page, click ‘Install’
This will take you to HMRC’s portal where you can log in and grant authorisation.
- Once you’ve granted authorisation, you’ll be returned to the Debitoor web app to confirm your VAT return period and VAT Registration Number.
- You’ll see a confirmation that your connection has been set up.
Once you’ve completed these steps successfully, your account is ready for direct VAT return submissions to HMRC. You’ll see this reflected in the button within your VAT return preview: it will now say ‘Submit to HMRC’.
When you click this button, you will be asked to click a checkmark to confirm that the information you are submitting is accurate and true to your knowledge. Once you click submit, you’ll receive a PDF receipt to the email address used for your Debitoor log in.