All posts

Business rates relief for 2020-2021

In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the UK Government has introduced multiple initiates to support small businesses across the UK. One of these initiatives is to provide business rates relief for many businesses within the retail, leisure and hospitality sector for the tax year 2020-2021.

The UK Government has introduced business rates relief for many businesses in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

This article explains who can benefit from the business rates relief, what relief is available, and how to get it.

Which properties have benefitted from the business rates relief?

The UK Government has waived business rates for the 2020 to 2021 tax year for most business within the retail, hospitality and leisure sector at a cost of approximately £10 billion.

This means that if you own a:

  • shop,
  • hospitality property, e.g a hotel, a guest house or self-catering accommodation,
  • restaurant, café, bar, or pub,
  • a venue for live music or cinema,
  • property used for assembly or leisure, e.g. a sports club, gym, or spar,

And that property is wholly used (or mainly being used) for that purpose, then your business rates for 2020-2021 have be waived.

Financial, medical and professional services do not quality for this relief, however. This means that things like banks, vets, doctors, solicitors and accountant offices are not eligible.

How much business rates relief is available?

Under this scheme, the government has provided relief amounting to 100% of the bill for 2020-2021.

It has also been separately announced that nurseries will receive a 100% “business rates holiday” for the 2020-2021 tax year.

How to get your business rates relief

If you missed this information earlier in the year, no problem. You don’t need to do anything to receive your business rates relief. Your local council will automatically apply the discount when you receive your bill.

If however, you do not receive business rates relief for the 2020 to 2021 tax year and think that you are eligible, it is advised that you contact your local council for more information.

Log in

Debitoor is now SumUp!

The Debitoor application has been shut down, but if you're searching for an all-in-one invoicing software, SumUp has everything you need. SumUp is more than just invoicing software. We offer a range of integrated tools to help you run your business easily and efficiently. Open a Business Account with a free Mastercard, set up an online store, accept a variety of in-person and remote payments and much more. Start streamlining your invoices, payments and accounts today!

Go to SumUp

We value your privacy

When you access this website or use any of our mobile applications we may automatically collect information such as standard details and identifiers for statistics or marketing purposes. You can consent to processing for these purposes configuring your preferences below. If you prefer to opt out, you can alternatively choose to refuse consent. Please note that some information might still be retained by your browser as it's required for the site to function.